Epoxy on soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:18:49 EDT

Yeah Joe
  But to my knowledge all Yamaha's are coated in quite thick film of  &
believe poly ester or urethane. The on or two that I've stripped off had  to be 10
mils thick. I found these boards more lively without the thick coating  but
not dramatically so. I'd say the Bechstein had other problems,.hey there are  so
many to choose from. i.e. old board, bearing etc.
   BTW UV doesn't have to be direct contact to cause a finish to  fade or
degrade.
  Besides Europeans don't believe in replacing soundboards. It would  remove
the magic tone wood. (grin.)  Conrad. I need a really good Flamesuit
.!!!!!!!!!
  Dale

David,
Huh?!!!!! UV should never be on a soundboard. (Period)!!!!  So, what  the
heck is this all about? If you want to put a finish over the epoxy, have  at it!
I think it is over-kill and may just un-do the effect you are looking  for,
(better sustain/volume) Too much finish on a soundboard will kill the  sound.
I've seen it many times. The worst being a Polyester finish on a 9'  Bechstein,
rebuilt on the Euro Continent. That was the deadest piano I've ever  heard!
Yikes!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool  Police
Squares R I

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com