(OT) Metric -

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:24:23 -0400

> Screw France too!  Oui, oui!

Geeesh, Terry, as SORELY tempted as I am to take the bait (e.g. "gee, BOTH
female AND male Frenchmen?"), I'm afraid I have to echo the sentiments of
others here.  This is all getting pretty ugly, and you're frankly
embarrassing me.  I'm very proud of our American heritage and culture.
We're among the most charitable, welcoming people in the world, when you get
to know us, but it seems our chief, self-appointed ambassadors to the world
represent us quite poorly.  It is rare that I presume to apologize for the
behavior of a compatriot, but this would clearly be one of those moments.

The world is becoming a much, much smaller place, Terry, especially with the
advent of the Internet.  We can either embrace the opportunities we are
afforded for mutual understanding and international cooperation, or we can
throw rocks at each other like a bunch of imbeciles.  I vote for the former.
And if integrating successfully with the remaining 95% of the world means
learning a much simpler system of measurements, so be it.  Perhaps when
we're all on one system of measurements (the Systeme International), we
won't waste billions of dollars bouncing probes off the Martian atmosphere!

Peace,
Sarah

PS I am marketing my photographs in inch-dimensions, because that is what
the American market expects (the majority of my customer base), but this
entire discussion has brought to light the need for me to edit the pages to
reflect centimeter conversions.  Thanks for opening my eyes a bit, everyone.
Those conversions will be up tomorrow.