How We sense : "a total and complete ear opener".

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 15:03:32 +0200

On 23-okt-04, at 4:53, Bill Ballard wrote:

> Both David and Andre have described listening to tuning doe a specific=20=

> way, David with respect to the bottom end of the piano and Andre, the=20=

> number of partials audible during a unison tuning. I'd like a=20
> clarification in each case, to make sure I understand their experience=20=

> (which BTW, I don't doubt for a minute).
>
> At 8:09 AM -0700 10/20/04, David Andersen wrote:
>> Fascinating subject. Again, stretching the bass MUSICALLY, until the
>> perception of sound drops in your body from the head and neck to the=20=

>> chest
>> and stomach,and then, for the last six notes on most pianos, a bit=20
>> lower---
>> So the fourth above is slowly rolling against the note being=20
>> tuned---will
>> usually satisfy most people.
>
> Interesting to have the perception of an octave described in terms the=20=

> location inside the body where its perceived. Yogic. Californian. So=20=

> what is it that's moving that location downwards? The actual note of=20=

> the keyboard as you walk down towards the bottom, or the process of=20
> stretching it wide from  its single octave note above?

I think what David means here is that he is capable of hearing with=20
'other senses'.
This is not so much Yogic or Californian (although our revered friend=20
is very much Californian (: >))), but is more a holistic approach not=20
everybody is able to understand nor value its worth. (especially=20
American Chevvy drivers have trouble with this concept).    (;   =20
grinnnn
But it is true that we can perceive certain 'values' not just with our=20=

regular senses, but also with 'the other senses', senses all people=20
possess, but have lost thru leading a life which causes bluntness or a=20=

density/narrowing of the so called "normal senses".
Too sharpen those senses, we can train ourselves by doing for instance=20=

very simple exercises like : sitting very quiet on a bench  in for=20
instance in a big American shopping mall, and doing a seeing/looking=20
exercise.  I do this often myself. I sit still, I am wide awake, and I=20=

try to see as much as I can see. I am not just looking at pretty girls=20=

but I try to take in all there is to see.
And, dear colleagues, there is so very much to see if only you 'open'=20
your eyes. You see the texture of the tiles, the different kind of=20
shoes people are wearing, the shoes that fit perfectly with the people=20=

who wear them, the profiles of wooden frames around shops, the building=20=

structure(s), the single colors of every thing, and especially the=20
combined colors of
everything, the plants, the articles displayed in the shop windows, the=20=

text and the different type of lettering, the expressions on people's=20
faces, man... I could go on and on.

Then there is another sense we mostly use unconsciously : the smell.
Same time, same place, this time we focus on smells and odors. A male=20
person strolls by who had just put on his aftershave, a female person=20
enters 'your space' with an incredible perfume aura which lingers after=20=

this person for sometimes a hundred yards (!), the smells of the shops,=20=

their displayed articles, of all people, of animals, of vehicles, of=20
plants etc.
The sense of smell is much stronger than we think, and it may even=20
trigger all kinds of emotions.
Then we come to the sense of hearing, which I think is most developed=20
in people.
You're still sitting on that bench in that shopping mall. You close=20
your eyes, you breath very deep and calmly for a minute. This in itself=20=

will enhance your state of consciousness and relax your body, which is=20=

necessary to "sense at all", and then you concentrate on what you=20
actually hear.
What do we hear? We first of all hear footsteps and voices. We hear a=20
laugh, a cry, how many feet do we actually hear going by (ever thought=20=

of that?), we hear echo's, we hear the reverberation of the space we=20
sit in, we can try to define the bigness of that space,  we can try to=20=

define how far away the nearest wall is... in other words, we try to=20
"hear"
Then, if we think we hear everything, we can try to hear 'more'.=20
Hearing more is a revelation. Generally speaking, people with a musical=20=

talent may hear music in sounds, it is an advanced way of listening and=20=

a more subtle way of perception. In most big hotel , there are air=20
vents in the bath rooms. If you sit very quiet on the toilet, you may=20
be able to hear sounds from outside through the little air hole, you=20
may hear very fine high sounds of the air that is being blown through=20
the air channels... and there is so much to listen to in all of the=20
world.

Now we come to 'listening' to a piano : if you strike a key, you will=20
hear that note. But did you hear the impact of the hammer against the=20
string? did you hear the impact of the key hitting the bottom of the=20
keybed? did you hear the combined metal of strings, bolts and frame?=20
Did you already find out what 'the tone' is of the instrument? which=20
tone sounds best? Which register sounds best? Did you hear that the key=20=

frame rattles? Did you hear that part the key frame is not in contact=20
with the keybed?
Then we come to the strings: we always listen for the moment when the=20
beats of two strings come together, but do we actually try to listen to=20=

the ''quality' of that sound? What kind of sound is it really? Is it=20
easy to hear partials? Which partials are we able to distinguish? Do we=20=

ever take the time to listen to as many partials as we can?
And then : when we strike a note, can we in some way feel the=20
vibrations of that sound? can we feel those vibes with our fingers on=20
the key (very important for voicing!)? Can we feel the vibrations with=20=

our feet?
You see, these things David Andersen senses, are not funny, they are=20
dead serious and they are very important to 'sensitive' persons. If I=20
lie down in my bed, I always concentrate first on my breathing. I=20
inhale slowly, my belly stretches upward, I exhale, my belly goes down.=20=

My state of consciousness slowly changes from all day nervousness to=20
the mental and physical relaxation required for a healthy sleep. I then=20=

listen to my heart beat, uh-uhh, uh-uhh. I feel the blood streaming=20
through my veins, I sense the arteries pulsing in my neck. Then I try=20
to feel the heart beat in my right big toe, and after only a few=20
seconds, my right big toe is already throbbing haha!

I tell you these things to show to you that much more is possible than=20=

we think, than we can imagine even. This is not hocus pocus but the=20
result of training, consciously or unconsciously, of our senses. The=20
result of such a training is that we 1. make optimal use of our brain=20
capacity and senses, and 2. that our perception of 'things' alters and=20=

that because of this, we live a life in a  state of being more aware.=20
It is an enrichment. Many people have lost this 'awareness'. They live=20=

their life in a dream state, in a dumbing down.

I am not doing any Yoga, I am not religious in any way, I am not=20
Californian. I am just trying to learn and to become aware of=20
especially things related to the things I live with every day : piano's=20=

and their beautiful sounds.

> At 11:49 PM +0200 10/18/04, antares wrote:
>> Let me then tell you again about that lessons I once had : my=20
>> Japanese teacher once told me that my tuning that day had come out=20
>> very nice, but he told me that I used too much force in striking the=20=

>> keys.
>> So he ordered me to re-tune one octave by keeping the middle strings=20=

>> intact and re-tune the left and right string of each unison in that=20=

>> octave.
>> So I did, and he once more corrected me. saying that I was still=20
>> banging too hard.
>> I then banged a little less, and finished the octave.
>> Then he asked me to listen to that very octave and compare it with=20
>> the neighboring octaves.
>> I went out of my mind! that one specific octave was so much more=20
>> beautiful than the others!
>
> That's the sound of the unisons which was being listened to after=20
> having been redone quietly, right?

Right.

>> It has to do with the way we (unconsciously) listen to overtones :=20
>> you strike hard, you create an abundance of higher partials, you=20
>> strike less hard, you create a mix of lower partilas and higher=20
>> partials.
>
> Agreed the mix of lower and higher partials is determined by how hard=20=

> we strike, but on a hard blow, the lower partials are no less obvious=20=

> (and as measured by a sophisticated spectrum analyzer, no smaller in=20=

> comparison to the higher partials) than on a soft blow. What changes=20=

> in the sound from soft blow to hard, is the emergence of the higher=20
> partials which feed on the extra strength of the blow.

Well, I do not entirely agree with you here.
I have tested this partial stuff myself with the aid of the spectrum=20
analysis, built within my VT. The VT works up to, I think, A5 with 8=20
partials, then with 4. 2 and 1 partial.
If you strike very hard, we see that the emphasis lies indeed much=20
stronger on the higher partials. Where the lowest partials react less=20
strongly, the highest partials visibly react much more.

But there is another phenomenon at hand here : if you strike really=20
hard, the tone gets distorted and so does your hearing. With a really=20
hard bang, there is a tendency for the higher partials to overrule,=20
probably in combination with other physical factors I am not familiar=20
with.
It may also be that our ears react in a much different way then we=20
think to a violent sound.

>> The result is a coarse and wide sounding tone, very rich in overtones=20=

>> and very long sounding.
>> That tone is a complimentary quality an experienced and musical tuner=20=

>> can use.
>> If a given tuning is not really perfect (and I am convinced that at=20=

>> least 95% of all tunings in the world are not 100% perfect) than we=20=

>> can make up for the hopefully small errors by at least creating a=20
>> very rich tone.
>
> This may be true, but, being the aural tuner which I still am after=20
> all of these years, I'm using the higher partials as a vernier fine=20
> adjustment on the fundamental during unison tuning. In some PTJ=20
> article it was mentioned that a "dead unison" is best done by=20
> zero-beating the highest partial we can hear. If a 7th partial (my=20
> favorite) beats at 1bps, I know the 1st is on a slow roll one beat=20
> every 7 seconds. (And the 2d every 3.5 secs, and so on.) If I slow the=20=

> 7th beat rate down to 0.5bps, the period of the 1st partial's beat=20
> rate would stretch to 14 sec., and the slope of its rise and fall=20
> would be so mild as to be unusable in zero-beating that 1st partial.=20=

> Much easier to slow the 7th partial beat rate from 1/2 bps to zero,=20
> rather than the 1st partial from 1/14 bps to zero.
>
> So it's this fine tuning knob that I would have to do without, by=20
> tuning with a soft blow. Not that I bang my way through a tuning. But=20=

> I would have to be playing very quietly not to hear the 7th partial=20
> even up into the 5th octave.
>
> So, Andre, a clarification: were the unisons with the softer blow,=20
> done listening to individual partials although no higher than the 4th,=20=

> or were they done on the basis of the "whole sound", ie, the wave=20
> envelope of the entire sound regardless of what partials may be=20
> contributing beat rates?

The notes were retuned on the basis of the "whole" sound. There was no=20=

need to really pick out this or that partial.
btw, I never really consciously tune with the aid of partials. I just=20
tune, I just use my basic  musical talent which defines my "ear/tone=20
print". My musical talent and my trained ears tell me exactly when the=20=

combination of the two or three strings is at its most beautiful=20
(according to my frayed nerve endings hehe).
I am convinced that our eyes work the same : it is a matter of

1. the technical/physical situation with your eyes i.e. are they=20
healthy, are they functioning well enough?
2. How do our eyes and optical nerves perceive and especially=20
'translate' the spectrum of light beams.

So it must be that my green resembles your green, but is probably=20
fractionally different.
That's why I state that all tuners have a different way of creating=20
unisons. I am not talking here about counting beats or creating a=20
temperament etc. no, this is purely related to the way we can perceive=20=

and process sound and the combination of two or three sounds, coming=20
from the unisons.
That is most fascinating stuff and tuners with under developed 'ears'=20
could highly benefit from a 'unison seminar' of maybe 1 hour.

As I told before : the best example I heard of this was at the Yamaha=20
Academy in Japan, where a number of 'developed' students in my class=20
(Concert course) had to do a tuning test every day at 8 a.m.
My instructor secretly invited me to compare their unisons, and Bill...=20=

It was a total and complete "ear opener".
And then there was in particular this one Japanese lady tuner who made=20=

the ultimate tuning, by which I mean that she was able to tune every=20
note on the tuning curve. It was absolutely amazing, and she performed=20=

this incredible work of precision every day. She was almost like a=20
tuning machine, and a very good one too
Her unisons however were of very very poor 'tonal' quality. The best=20
tuning maybe on Earth, but the ugliest CFIII-S I ever heard (and it was=20=

a rather new one, with new hammers).
btw... the same applies to the quality of voicing. If one doesn't have=20=

the "right" ear, it would be better to....... dadadada  (fill in=20
yourself)
(; >))

> If the latter, then we are back again to the discussion of whether a=20=

> breathless unison is a dead tone. If the former, it's simply a matter=20=

> of whether a breathless unison can be efficiently achieved, listening=20=

> to and working with the 1st 4 partials only.
>
> Thanks for the clarification, guys. I only "partially hear" you.

Well Bill,
I think I could describe this unison stuff best by comparing a very=20
rich and coarse sounding unison with a train track of which the rails=20
lie very wide.
The louder you strike, the smaller the gauge of the tracks. That's I=20
think a good comparison.

The best thing of course is to try this out for yourself. Most people=20
do not believe this story and as I told here before I once told a=20
famous pianist about it and he said "rubbish" don't tell me BS stories=20=

(all this in a blunt way, so much for famous pianists). I remained calm=20=

and polite and offered to prove it. After I had tuned a few unisons=20
with tremendous blows, he had to admit that those few notes sounded=20
very different indeed. For punishment, I should have tuned his battered=20=

Steinway in my most favorite tuning, called Freud 2, where all fourths=20=

are tuned into pure fifths. This is btw a tuning, which, if not=20
performed with vast experience and total dedication, will drive you=20
completely nuts and bonkers, the tech usually ending up in a very tight=20=

straight jacket, hence the name : Freud nr 2) There is also another one=20=

I like very much called Jung, number 7, but that is for advanced=20
nuts.....

Bill,
I hope that "my partials" are by now a very open book to you...  (;

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

"where Music is, no harm can be"