"Viennese Grand"

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 08:05:25 -0600

I have one of those in my care.  It didn't have any braiding on the
back-scale, lots of noise.  I put braiding in to the mid tenor and it
improved.
The case is quite flexible.  Turn the casters the wrong way while the music
desk is off and you will have a hard time putting it back in.  Lots of
similar "rough-edges", wood shims visible between plate and case below the
music desk etc.
This one had a D/C on it and I was called in to inspect the piano after the
movers had set it up because the damper pedal wasn't working.  Good thing,
the dehumidifiers were connected to the humidifier side and vice versa on
the humidifier.  Oh, they had mixed the pedal rods up and the pitman was
not in its place on the damper pedal system.
Had a clicking problem on this, the backchecks hitting the sostuneto
system.  Adjusting placement of action improved high treble and adjusting
the rod gave just enough room to eliminate clicking.
Plywood soundboard huh?  Maybe that's why I don't like it.  I'll have to
pull the action again and look at this a little more closely.
They were hoping I could make it sound as good as my wife's Wurly by
Samick.  Pointed out that the Wurly was on a well-temperament and explained
manufacturers have differences in design and scaling.  She takes lessons
from my wife.

The life of a piano tech is never boring,
Andrew