Cost of pianos (was Re: Stephen Birkett in the news)

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:54:07 -0400

Thanks to Kent Swafford for noticing that article in the G&M. I had
talked to the reporter last week but wasn't aware that anything had
appeared in the paper.

A little clarification might be helpful. For the most part it was a
reasonably accurate, if understandably (given the target audience)
superficial description, but some details were a little misleading,
and a few points were obviously mixed up.  First, the grants we've
had or will have shortly - totalling some $400K  - pay for a lab
*infrastructure here that will be dedicated to studying piano
technology. This includes some  sophisticated experimental equipment,
e.g. high speed camera, actuators and sensors for control and
measurement of dynamic systems (like piano actions and hammer felt),
materials testing equipment, heat treating furnace (for wire
experiments), and non-contact modal analysis equipment. The somewhat
ponderous project name given in the article focused on the facility
itself, which was what the award just announced is funding.

I coined the research group here as the "Waterloo Piano Systems
Group", and will focus on the piano in the broadest sense. The main
objectives are to explore the relationship between piano design, its
technical implementation (materials, configuration etc) and
manufacturing methods, i.e. look at the piano from an engineering
rather than physics-based perspective, as has typically been done
previously. This work is based on modelling, backed up by extensive
experimental testing and validation. The research focus is the
conventional piano (modern+historical) and includes the pianist and
tuner (biomechanical and perceptual aspects). The industry sponsor is
involved with the research insofar as it relates to exploration of
the modern piano (I can't say who it is because they would like to
remain anonymous at this point).

The project described in the newspaper article is actually peripheral
to the main objectives of our group, although it did seem to catch
the interest of the reporter. This work is an extracurricular project
involving undergraduate engineering students at U Waterloo. Since I
didn't write the newspaper article I had no control over the
presentation, but will correct a few obvious bloopers below. The rest
of my comments in this email are directed at  the project described
in the newspaper.

Newspaper article quotes and Phil Ford's comments interspersed:

>>Building a piano anyone can afford
>>...Even when the very best Steinway grand can retail for half a
>>million dollars,
>I think this is somewhat misleading.  This would be for something
>like an Alma Tadema art case Steinway.  I don't think a pianist
>would think of this as 'the very best Steinway'.

Yes of course....the figures are a little mixed up.

>>  and a lesser brand may suck $130,000 out of a musician's wallet,
>Would a Fazioli be considered a 'lesser' brand?

I think the typical cost of a Steinway D - in Canada $ remember - is
about $130,000. This is my ballpark as representative of the high end
concert instrument, although it's probably the bottom end of the
scale if you include German pianos, and others such as Fazioli.

>The buggy industry didn't collapse because of the lack of cheap high
>quality buggies.

The analogy I made is quite representative of the real driver in the
project, but it got lost in the translation. My point is: the modern
piano is the end result of 300+ years of meandering and tinkering
without any fundamental change in principle. Bits got thicker and
heavier and stronger and wider and longer and more braced and more
rigid. But the basic design solution for a modern piano is not really
any different from Cristofori's original invention, which, of course,
can trace its principles considerably further via the haprsichord.
Imagine the modern car had been developed this way from the horse and
buggy and we continued to manufacture it as a modified horse and
buggy. That's basically what's being done currently with the modern
piano. Applying modern manufacturing techniques, as far as this can
be done effectively, may be able to improve efficiency, but it's
really nothing more than a technical and economic bandaid. I'm
proposing something more radical.

>>  The ultimate goal is to come up with a piano that costs less than
>>half of today's high-end products, and "maybe even take it down a
>>good deal more than that," Prof. Birkett says, so that "someone
>>could buy a grand piano who wouldn't even consider it today."
>
>So, would that be half the cost of a half million dollar piano, or
>half the cost of a $130,000 piano?  I wouldn't consider a $65,000
>piano cheap.

I was pressed to give a "value" (which I believe is actually
conservative) although have no basis for choosing one yet, other than
back-of-the-beer-mat scratchings. The objective is simply to develop
something that can be manufactured as efficiently as possible,
without compromising the acoustic and musical aesthetics we
understand about the modern concert grand piano. It will cost what is
costs at the end of the day. But it will be fun to try, and there are
no economic constraints or business partners telling us what we can
or cannot do, only the engineering constraints.

>But, this raises an interesting question.  Why do pianists think
>that good pianos ought to be cheap?  If you talk to other musicians,
>many of them accept the fact that their instruments are expensive.
>A violinist looking for a serious violin would consider a $20,000
>instrument cheap.  A $100,000 instrument would be sort of middle of
>road, with the most sought after instruments in the millions.  It's
>not unusual for an orchestral musician to purchase an instrument
>that costs 2 or 3 times his annual income.  They seem to look on it
>as a necessary investment in the tool of their trade.  Pianists, in
>general, don't seem to hold the same view of things.

That's true but pianos and violins are very different beasts. There's
a certain snob factor involved with the violin (the old masters are
not necessarily better than anything made now), and a high end violin
needn't cost two arms and a leg. The ultra expensive antique
instruments also have a rarity aspect that raises their value beyond
their musical worth.

The desires and perception of pianists really get to the nub of what
I want to do. A $130K concert grand is undeniably expensive to make,
and not over-priced for what goes into it. This is precisely the
problem. We've all seen what you end up with when you try to make a
standard concert grand more cheaply and cutting corners leads to
cutting results. We need to start thinking ouside the box and forget
about the souped-up horse and buggy and come up with something more
akin to the modern car.   When I said "re-engineer" I meant exactly
that. No tinkering. Start from scratch. Imagine the modern piano
didn't exist. What are the chances that we would come up with the
modern piano in its current form as a 21st century engineering
solution? Not much.

>If cheaper high end pianos are the goal, I wonder if high tech is
>the path to that goal.  You can buy a hand made harpsichord or
>fortepiano for $15,000 - $25,000.  These are made in the old
>fashioned low-tech way, by hand, one at a time.  Why does something
>cranked out in a factory cost 10 times as much?

A handmade c.1790 fortepiano it's more like $30K US for a good one. A
handmade 1820 fortepiano is likely to set you back $50-60K US, more
for a famous builder such as Chris Clarke. Extrapolate to the scale
of a modern concert piano and you get well up there in the echelons
of the current prices for Steinway Ds etc. This is no doubt
reflective of the fact that much of work in making *any piano with
the current type of design is hand work, and not efficiently
automated. Hence the benefits of the factory are not translated to
cheaper prices.

I'm glad this discussion has come up. To re-iterate for emphasis and
summary....when I said "re-engineer" I meant exactly that. No
tinkering. Start from scratch. Imagine the modern piano didn't exist.
What are the chances that we would come up with the modern piano in
its current form as a 21st century engineering solution? How much of
the current design of a modern piano is needed merely to accomodate
the limitations of the materials and methods being used to make it?
What are the critical design aspects that define the modern piano
aesthetic?

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115