Soft blows (was How we hear)

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:22:27

Hi Jason,

If you are moving the pitch more than two cents then by all means bang
away. The largest mistake most tuners make is trying to tune instead be
doing pitch corrections--and returning to the field of battle another day
to do the tuning.

Sometimes we have no choice, but then 3 passes as fast as possible is the
"way to go". First one bang away, second one careful intelligent tuning,
third one "put each unison under a microscope". Charge for it. No Charge
EVEN MORE for it. *grin*.

I believe there have been demonstrations of the lack of ability to equalize
tensions across the segements by bashing on the keys at conventions. I've
not seen one in person but I seem to remember it being mentioned on the
list before.

It is possible to have a technique that produces wonderful stability with
soft blows. Easier on you, easier on the piano, and faster too. (sounds
like win win win to me).

At 09:26 AM 26/10/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>   One of  the very first basics we learn is that we must set the pin with
>a firm blow to  equalize the string tension across the friction points. How
>does this relate to  the current discussion of using rather soft blows to
>tune unisons?

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.