About a Steinway D soundboard substitution

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:31:30 EDT

In a message dated 10/27/2004 12:01:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dza7@netcabo.pt writes:

   Hi Hugo
   Several of us on list have done these routinely  & I  am doing one
currently. If the crack was there prior to the  fall there is no insurance claim.
Also simply Falling sideways is also  rather unspecific as to jolt/force involved.
  Tuesday My local high school had their Stwy B (7ft.) come  off two legs hit
the ground hard & split the pedals. It is the same age as  yours roughly. The
plate is intact & no soundboard splits. We set it up on  its legs, I repaired
the pedals & tuned it the next day No problem.
 Personally I doubt the fall caused the crack. These interments are  rugged.
I would suggest the plate/harp  would crack or split before  the board.
  If the piano sounds good I'd leave it alone. If it needs strings  then
repair the crack when it's torn down. At this point its a cosmetic problem  unless
the board was already a dud.
  Sicerely
   Dale Erwin

Hi, although this will be a bit vague, I would  like to know in which cases
would you consider a soundboard substitution in  this piano. This, about 30
years old Steinway D, fell sideways while being  moved and has now a 20cm long
crack in the middle zone near the bridge. We  were suggested to substitute the
soundboard. Has anyone done this in this  model? What was the old soundboard
condition? How much would just the  soundboard cost? Thank you,
Hugo

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com