Cracked Lid

Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:56:11 -0500

At 06:47 10/28/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>On long grands where the lid has been kept mostly in the up position you
>can imagine the stress, over the years it put on the glue joints on the
>long core panels glued together for the lid with only support on one end
>and the other just kind of hanging out there.  It is a wonder that we do
>not seem more of this in anything over 6'.  I do not know if they used any
>special types of joint between the boards or if they were all just edge
>glued.  Any one tore one apart to see.?
>Jim

They do get a bit warped, don't they?  We've got a "D" in a studio which is
ALWAYS on the short stick. Even with the logs on the underside (which add
even more weight...), the tail end almost looks like the lid is closed.
(the rubber button is about 1/2"/13mm from the rim)

I would hate to have to try to straighten it.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder