OT Political

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:11:12 -0400

Larry,

> For instance - there was another man during the founding years of our =
nation who considered himself a patriot as well, following Sarah's view =
of what constitutes a patriot. His name was Benedict Arnold.

Ah yes, Benedict Arnold.  He was an interesting character, to say the =
least.  Here's a brief bio about him at ushistory.org:

http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/served/arnold.html

>From what I've just read about him (which is admittedly only one =
accounting), it would appear he lost his love of country after being =
routinely "screwed."  I think it's fair to say he didn't consider =
himself much of a patriot when he sold out to the British.  ;-)  In any =
event, he certainly wouldn't have thought his selling out to the British =
would help the US in any way, so he wouldn't have been a patriot by my =
definition, at least at that point in his life.  But earlier....  yes, =
most certainly.

On a related note, it is really interesting to read his short history, =
as it involves numerous squabbles between competing factions on the same =
side.  As a former civil rights activist, I can well appreciate how =
these squabbles arise, how debilitating they can be, and how =
conscientious individuals can disagree so passionately about how to =
achieve the same goals.  Fortunately none of what my colleagues and I =
did involved war or overthrow of governments, which certainly elevates =
these conflicts to a more frightening level.

Peace,
Sarah