Sugar wood ( Microbial munching )

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:35:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,
     Everything that ends in "ose", like "cellulose"
is a  sugar, I think, and therefore subject to
microbial munchin', particulary if moisture is present
( the little buggers need something to wash it down
with, I guess ).  So once the "ose" is all "et", what
is left is lignin and remnants of resinous residues,
diminsihing the mass and strength of the wood, right?
     This sounds like something that Sarah could
address quite nicely.
    Thump