Over sharp treble

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:34:11 -0500

Joe, you are truly a role model in this sense for us tuners as we grow up
(or listen to too much loud R&R) and lose our ears. I've always felt that
it's ridiculous in today's day and age for any hearing loss to cause poor
tuning, between aids and electronic tuners. You also are answering my
question - whether it's the tuner or humidity causing that drastic of a
difference.

HEAR HEAR and thx,
ilex
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
  Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2004 2:44 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Re: Over sharp treble

  Hey Guys & Gals,
  Why are you casting dispersions on us olde farts, regarding the treble
tuning, (and some bass!)? Many times, I follow my own tunings and the treble
is higher than were I put it! (YES, I keep records of how I tune my pianos!
AND, I use my trusty SATII, always for the extreme treble, because I can't
tune it as well aurally!) For those who know me, I have hearing aids. I can
hear the frequencies up there, thanks to those aids. However, aids will give
you weird stuff, from time to time. (Oft-times due to a low battery or a lot
of other physical stuff, that I don't care to discuss, right now.)
  Humidity changes, GREATLY affect the upper treble. Sometimes, more than
you think it should. Why? Don't have a clue! It just does. Of course, there
are those olde farts, that have a HUGE ego thing going, regarding their
tunings and they refuse to do anything about it. Those clowns deserve a HUGE
SLAP up'side their damned heads!! I've followed YOUNG tuners that tune
WAYYYY too sharp for my taste. And, screwed up Bass tuning as well, from
them.
  If any of you think that you are not hearing things as well as you'd
like....GET YOUR DAMNED EARS CHECKED!!!!! AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR!!!!!!  NO
DAMNED EXCUSES!!!! WE DO MAKE OUR LIVING WITH OUR EARS!!!! GET IT???????
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I