LeatherKey Bushings

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:24:58 -0500

Any recommendations on how to "fit" the leather? Spurlock recommends that
when dry fitting a cloth bushing you should be able to pick the key up with
a key pin insterted into the dry-bushed mortise, but when you shake the pin,
the key will fall off. How should one fit the leather?

Terry Farrell

> Hi Dale
>
> We agree once more :)  I can echo your experience concerning older
> Bossies, and some Bluthners and scattered this and thats.  Leather seems
> to have gotten a largely undeserved bad rap. Perhaps this is due to the
> probability that appropriate lubrication for the application was either
> lacking or far too scantily applied back through time.  I aggree with
> David Stanwood that leather has a tendancy to get sluggish if not kept
> slick.  Teflon powder is my choice for sure. With felt I like to soak
> with Protek. Leather wears much better to be sure but then on the other
> hand if too eagerly sized it gets a bit noisy.  All in all tho.. in high
> use situations that allow for reasonably frequent service visits, I
> would choose a good leather hands down
>
> Cheers
> RicB
>

> Davids & Terry
>   my limited exposure to leather is that it holds up for a very long  time
&
> seeing that many of our performance pianos turn a new set of nicely  fit
> bushings to a sloppy fit in about a years time leaves me frustrated. So
Trix & I