Oorebeeks Punch'ns

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Fri, 01 Apr 2005 01:15:31 -0700

Richard Brekne wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> Just got to read through the april issue of the Journal and was
> tickled pink to see Andre's article. Nicely written by the way Andre
> !  I wanted to see if I could get some feeback from those of you who
> have used them over there.  They've been available for a bit now and
> perhaps some of you have experienced them in use for a while.
> Comments on both the punchings in use and the article would be very
> welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> RicB

    What puzzles me a bit about this article is that it is argued that
the taper somehow makes the punching firmer because it reduces the mass
of the punching at the top where the key hits it.  But the diameter is
wider than the green punching pictured next to it, which, I would think,
would cancel out any reduction in mass.  I don't doubt that the
punchings are better, but it's hard to believe the taper helps any if
they're wider than the plain ol' green ones.  I imagine it's just the
more firmly-packed felt (denser), as mentioned earlier in the article,
that makes the key hit bottom with a more positive (less squishy) stop.
    --David Nereson, RPT