Oorebeeks Punch'ns

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:24:04 +0200

On 1-apr-05, at 10:15, David Nereson wrote:

>   What puzzles me a bit about this article is that it is argued that=20=

> the taper somehow makes the punching firmer because it reduces the=20
> mass of the punching at the top where the key hits it.  But the=20
> diameter is wider than the green punching pictured next to it, which,=20=

> I would think, would cancel out any reduction in mass.  I don't doubt=20=

> that the punchings are better, but it's hard to believe the taper=20
> helps any if they're wider than the plain ol' green ones.  I imagine=20=

> it's just the more firmly-packed felt (denser), as mentioned earlier=20=

> in the article, that makes the key hit bottom with a more positive=20
> (less squishy) stop.
>    --David Nereson, RPT

As I said before ( and also in my article) : I learned about this=20
tapered version at the Yamaha Academy.
My instructor there, at the time, showed me the difference between the=20=

smaller side of the punching up, and the smaller side of the punching=20
down.
It did clearly make a difference in sound.

One thing I have learned about this new Wurzen punching, is, that if an=20=

instrument has not been regulated the right way, or when an instrument=20=

has very loud hammers, you will not hear any difference.
You will hear a difference though when the instrument has been=20
regulated the right way, and when the hammers have a more or less=20
'normal' voicing, i.e. not really too loud, and not really too soft.
There is of course a wide scale between very soft and very loud, but=20
then.....  those two are extremes.

The influence of the new tapered Wurzen punching is subtle, and can=20
only be heard on an instrument which has been regulated and voiced=20
according to 'normal' professional standards.
The feel/touch of the new punching on the other hand, is an other case=20=

: 'any' regulation becomes more clear and more defined when you install=20=

these punchings. How can it not be the case?
It is a more dense material with a very satisfying elasticity which=20
Vladan Temer described so clearly before when he tested several kinds=20
of punchings.
That means that a key dip of 10 mm is a key dip of 10 mm.
No more, and no less.
That in itself makes all the difference.

Capisce?  (;

EAR

friendly greetings
from