Key Weighting?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:20:00 EST

In a message dated 4/2/05 12:06:28 PM, davidlovepianos@comcast.net writes:

<< 'm just about to do the key weighting on the Chickering. I'd like to
know what y'all consider to be ideal touch weight. This piano,
originally, had a very light touch. Since it now has a "modern" action,
I don't think it would be prudent to make the touch "light" as it was,
since I think it would compromise speed. >>

Greetings,
   That original "light" touch may be due to geometry, or it may be small
hammers.  I don't know what you mean by "modern", (and I assume it is a grand),
but if you greatly increase key weight, for any reason, you will change the
character of the touch.  Key weight, when taken too far, will slow the action
down, as well as creating an inertial point of diminishing returns.  By this I
mean, too much lead may make the action easier to play at softer dynamics, but
as the pianist attempts to play louder, (which means more accleration of the
key and key speed), the inertial resistance of the lead becomes a major factor
in the resistance.
   I would take around 50 grams at C 4 to be a maximum downweight, and see
what the geometry creates on your upweight.  The action itself will let you know
how much blow and dip are reasonable, so without changing them, you will be
looking at a balancing act between hammer weight and key weight.  The smaller
the piano, the less hammer weight you can use.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT