Key Weighting?

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:54:31 -0500

Ed, this is THE Chickering, as opposed to A Chickering. Good ol' Joe =
simply assumes that everyone knows what THE Chickering is. Obviously, =
YOU don't keep tabs on what piano is in his shop! If I recall correctly, =
he is working on a very old Chickering (19th Century - maybe mid-ish =
19th) that didn't originally have a modern action (likely not double =
repetition). He retro-fitted it with a 20th Century modern type action. =
That is THE Chickering.

And yeah, that's my assumption also, a grand.

Sorry Joe, I had to.   ;-)

Terry Farrell

> << 'm just about to do the key weighting on the Chickering. I'd like =
> know what y'all consider to be ideal touch weight. This piano,
> originally, had a very light touch. Since it now has a "modern" =
action,
> I don't think it would be prudent to make the touch "light" as it was,
> since I think it would compromise speed. >>
>=20
> Greetings,=20
>    That original "light" touch may be due to geometry, or it may be =
small=20
> hammers.  I don't know what you mean by "modern", (and I assume it is =
a grand), =20
> but if you greatly increase key weight, for any reason, you will =
change the=20
> character of the touch.  Key weight, when taken too far, will slow the =
action=20
> down, as well as creating an inertial point of diminishing returns.  =
By this I=20