Japanese Chisels

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:55:47 EDT

David
  I do it all the time & they hold an edge very well. Now were  splittin
hairs again right?
   Dale Erwin

I was  looking at a Tormek Sharpening system the other day at a  Japanese
Woodworker outlet and was advised by one of the sales people that  you
should never use a sharpening device that hollow grinds the bevel on  a
Japanese chisel because it reduces the support of the cutting edge  on
these laminated type chisels.  I've always sharpened them by hand  anyway
but was unaware of this.  Anyone else have any experience in  this area.
I much prefer the Japanese cutting tools for there hardness and  the
ability to get a good edge that stays sharp.

David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com