Japanese Chisels

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 22:39:51 -0700

davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:56 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Japanese Chisels

   David
  I do it all the time & they hold an edge very well. Now were splittin
hairs again right?
   Dale Erwin
I was looking at a Tormek Sharpening system the other day at a Japanese
Woodworker outlet and was advised by one of the sales people that you
should never use a sharpening device that hollow grinds the bevel on a
Japanese chisel because it reduces the support of the cutting edge on
these laminated type chisels.  I've always sharpened them by hand anyway
but was unaware of this.  Anyone else have any experience in this area.
I much prefer the Japanese cutting tools for there hardness and the
ability to get a good edge that stays sharp.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.