Oorebeeks Punch'ns

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 02:52:20 -0500

Roger proposed some explanations for tonal changes with Andre's
Wurzen punchings:
>Moral of the above points:   The pianist works with after touch to
>create tone. Any and all things that we can do, to make this
>accurate and reliable, the happier our clients will be.

Yes. True in multiple ways Roger.

Andre was kind enough to send me some sample punchings which I have
done some preliminary investigation with. Some of the behaviour which
has been discussed here can be seen, as well as some surprising
results. Before I can make proper conclusions I'll need to do some
more controlled experiments, as well as compression tests....the
latter I'm waiting for a new Instron testing machine which has
finally been ordered and should arrive within about 2-3 months.

For now, high speed videos (forte blow) show that there is an obvious
mechanism whereby the properties of the punching can influence the
hammer during escapement, and consequently the touch and tone. [It's
not easy to set up these videos with a single high speed camera
oberving events that are not in close proximity] I've also looked at
the dynamic behaviour of the punchings themselves using macro high
speed imaging. Green woven felt punchings show a definite sloppiness
and tendency to shear on impact, and a much less clean deceleration,
with distinct wobble of the key off the vertical as the punching is
compressed. These observations are not seen with the Wurzen punching,
presumably because the superior interlocking of fibres prevents the
shearing observed with the woven material.

I intend to do more testing of these phenomena and will report back
on the conclusions (probably write an article about this), but it
won't be till I've got the new testing machine installed in the lab
and operational. In the meantime, if anyone would like to discuss the
observations or examine the videos, I'll be attending the MARC
convention this week, so just introduce yourself when you spot me and
I'll be pleased to meet you.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115