Oorebeeks Punch'ns

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:35:05 -0600

Hi Stephen,
                        I'm glad to hear you are going to do some more in
depth scientific testing, with actions using state of the art
equipment.  One thing not to over look in your motion analysis, is to keep
the centre pinning fairly tight. All bushings should be accuately reamed
with a parallel reamer, to ensure equal friction on both sides of the
bushing. It will help to reduce some of the erratic behavior, of the
components.
  Very accurate boring of the hammer, so there is no heavy/ light side will
also be important. Harold Conklin found this out in his 1970's SloMo
analysis. The bore angle will make the  tenor/ bass hammers behave
differently than the non angled treble bores.

I am sure you have thought of these factors.  But some food for
thought.  If you can get your hands on, a set of Steinway Teflon bushed
wippens and shanks, you could reduce the felt bushing anomaly,  and more
accurately see the timing and flexing motions.

Regards Roger