April Journal

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:44:39 -0700

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Porritt, David
Sent: April 05, 2005 9:04 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: April Journal

Did anybody else notice in the NAMM review in this months Journal that there
were new pianos from the European and Asian manufacturers yet the "new"
offerings from the American manufactures were reintroductions of old pianos from
the last century.  I'm sure the Mason & Hamlin CC94 and the Steinway A are nice
instruments, but have all the piano scale designers all moved away?  Why is
everyone else looking forward and we're (in the U.S.) just looking backwards?
I'm really mystified here.

>From what I could see the newly reintroduced Steinway A is pretty much the same
as what has been built in Germany for some time so in this case your point is
well taken.

The M&H CC, however, has been extensively redesigned. While not quite an
entirely new design -- it's obviously still a M&H -- there is a whole lot of new
content in there. It's several inches longer, it does have a new scale, etc.

You might also want to take another look at the new Model AA. This also is a
mostly new design with strong genetic ties to the original. But new model it is
a better piano in most every way.

Any company that is saddled with as strong a tradition as M&H must be extremely
careful how they mess with instruments that have become icons. From what I have
seen so far M&H has been quite successful at this. Let them be an example....

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
512 Hanna Avenue