Hey, Aural Gurus ...

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:23:42 -0500

Since most temperaments work well with about 1/2 beat narrow D4-A4 fifth =
and
likewise with about a 1/2 beat wide D3-D4 octave, if you tuned D3 to A4
absolutely beatless (at A5) you would have two notes (in a two octave
temperament) that were dead-on and accounting for inharminicity across =
the
break in most pianos=20
=20
Then, tuning A3 to A4, and D4 to D3 while checking the fourths and =
fifths
created among those four notes you'd be pretty confident you had four
solidly and rather easily placed notes.=20
=20
Anything wrong with this?=20
=20
Now, find me a similar exercise for nailing down F3 or F4 (NOT =
estimating
beat rates) and I'd be one excited camper, because after that a two =
octave
temperament (C3-B4 for the RPT tuning test) would be pretty easy.=20
=20
I know I'm trying to reinvent the wheel, but this business of =
esti-placing
F3, D3, and A#3 without REALLY knowing their best placement kinda bugs =
me.
At least with D4 you have 4ths and 5ths to listen to, but dang it if the
whole structure doesn't depend too much on getting the "right" width for =
the
A3-A4 octave and then floating in that F3...=20
=20
Alan R. Barnard=20
Salem, MO=20
=20
PS This is a repost, but I got no takers the first time. Hoping for some
now. Sorry if it annoys anyone ...=20

--=20
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
=20