Jack Flange Repair and Bass String Matching

Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:58:04 +0100

Hello Matthew Todd and List
Dead bass strings sometimes resuscitate when removed from the hitch, =
wound once around a bottle and flexed by rolling the bottle up and down =
the string. Then replace the string on the hitch making sure you twist =
it so as to tighten the covering. If that doesn't work then new strings =
are the only option. If you still have the broken string try tying a =
piece of left-over core from your stock culled from earlier re-stringing =
bass string jobs. It MUST be the same diameter though BE WARNED! In some =
difficult situations I have even removed some of the covering in order =
to tie on a new termination. The weight of the knot seemed to counteract =
the loss of covering and the resultant sound was quite acceptable! In =
order to save the old string I have also even turned the it the other =
way round so what was the hitch end becomes the wrest-pin end..... =
Experiment!
Jack flange on lever problem. This is a typical problem on Collard and =
Collard uprights. Remove the lever and reglue the jack flange. Sometimes =
you can reglue them in place without removing the lever. Get a piece of =
masking tape on either side to hold the flange in place against the =
efforts of the jack spring to dislodge it!
Action nuts too tight? Use a Mole wrench (or vise-grips) This excellent =
tool is also used for winding those bass strings before replacing them =
on the hitch pin.
Regards
Michael G.(UK)----- Original Message -----=20