Old Splice was ... Bass String Matching

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:56:43 -0500

This was in a recent post: "If you still have the broken {old, thunky =
bass}
string try tying a piece of left-over core from your stock culled from
earlier re-stringing bass string jobs. It MUST be the same diameter =
though
BE WARNED!"
=20
I'm wondering what this tech's experience has been, and from the rest of =
the
list, too. There is no reason I know of for this statement to be true. I
have tied several with lighter gauge wire because it was all that I had =
in
the field. I know others do, as well. As long as the string can take the
tension, what difference would it make anyway? Or HEAVIER gauge, for =
that
matter.
=20
If the knot is in the speaking segment, I wouldn't try it. But in the
non-speaking areas, it has worked just fine for me. If making a =
dependable
knot with different thicknesses of wire is a problem, make a sheet bend
instead of the square knot.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Ready, Willing, and Able to be Wrong in Salem, MO

=20

--=20
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
=20