A4-D3 12th

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:20:50 +0100

MessageAlan (what a great name) Barnard wrote on  Sunday, April 03, 2005 =
12:45 AM
Alan (What a great name, and spelled properly, too!):

Would you be kind enough to post the temperament sequence you are using, =
as in=20
Tune         Tune to
A4                Fork
D3                  A4=20

etc.?

Are these P12ths tuned beatless throughout?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

  Well, at the risk of divulging centuries old trade secrets and being =
banned from the list, here goes;

  Step 1; Tune A4 to A440 fork.

  Step 2 ; consider that tuning D3 to A4 is rather stretching it a bit =
as far as our digital compass is concerned.

  Step 3; carefully take note that there must be a link between perfect =
12ths tuning, and the mathematical fact that equal temperament is based =
on the 12th root of 2.

  Step 4; remember that there are 12 signs of the zodiac and 12 months =
in a year and at the end of year you get the 12 days of Christmas . By =
the way there are 12 in a dozen.

  Step 5; Run your fingers up the keyboard chromatically and you will =
soon discover that there are 12 semitones in an octave.

  Step 6;  is half way to Step 12 ........ which reads; examine in =
minute detail the date of the original posting by one R Brekne.

  AF

  P.S. I don't actually tune with a P12 within my temperament, but I use =
P12ths outside of it. I will however send my sequence when I am in the =
mood for more serious writing.=20