soundboard causing buzz, more...

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 18:33:23 -0400

Hi,

I go back and forth between thinking it's some non-piano part
rattling/buzzing or the actual piano.

Today I took off the lid and the buzz was gone. I made sure everything
was tight and put it back on, the buzz came back (and seemed worse!).
Further I noticed I could reduce the buzz by pushing the lid hard to
the right with it propped open, as well as closed (as I mentioned in my
last email).

However, I was able to isolate the buzz to definitely the back end of
the piano, right around the bend, and it definitely appears to be
coming from the underside of the piano. This makes me wonder how it
could be the lid?

Since the plate covers this part of the soundboard from above and there
isn't easy access from underneath, I couldn't really do much
troubleshooting as far as the soundboard is concerned. I decided to try
and clean the board underneath the plate, but the fit is so tight I
couldn't get everywhere back there.

Oh well, it's really starting to bother me now as I practise :) I wish
I had a fibre optic camera to look underneath the plate!

- John