soundboard causing buzz, more...

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:21:06 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bec and John" <bjsilva001@comcast.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: soundboard causing buzz, more...

> Hi,
>
> I go back and forth between thinking it's some non-piano part
> rattling/buzzing or the actual piano.
>
> Today I took off the lid and the buzz was gone. I made sure everything
> was tight and put it back on, the buzz came back (and seemed worse!).
> Further I noticed I could reduce the buzz by pushing the lid hard to
> the right with it propped open, as well as closed (as I mentioned in my
> last email).
>
> However, I was able to isolate the buzz to definitely the back end of
> the piano, right around the bend, and it definitely appears to be
> coming from the underside of the piano. This makes me wonder how it
> could be the lid?
>
> Since the plate covers this part of the soundboard from above and there
> isn't easy access from underneath, I couldn't really do much
> troubleshooting as far as the soundboard is concerned. I decided to try
> and clean the board underneath the plate, but the fit is so tight I
> couldn't get everywhere back there.
>
> Oh well, it's really starting to bother me now as I practise :) I wish
> I had a fibre optic camera to look underneath the plate!
>
> - John

John,
    Respectfully,I think you're making this harder than it is.
    If the buzz left the piano with the lid, the buzz is in the lid.
    Did you remove the hinges and or pins? Especially that rear hinge from
your description .Remove the long hinge pin on the piano hinge?
    (Samick used to advise coating the pin with linseed oil and
reinserting )
   The hard part is over--you found it! It's in the lid !
    Use the "BIG TOOL" ---find it and fix it.
    I'm not beating up on you here --I'm the first guy to seek help when I'm
stumped, but the list can only advise and speculate with this type of
problem..You're the technician .Let us know what the solution is.
    Best wishes and good luck,
    Tom Driscoll RPT.