Old Splice was ... Bass String Matching

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:24:54 -0500

Re: "I have spliced a bass string with the knot in the speaking length, and
by listening, I really couldn't tell that it had been spliced." David V.

Right. I miscommunicated: Just meant that I'm not sure how two different
wire sizes in the speaking length would work out; the knot, I understand,
doesn't make a huge difference. Never had a need to try it.

And as to sound...

A great many of the kinda-like-a--piano-looking-thingies I tune wouldn't
sound much different if you welded hub caps to the bass strings. But I
wonder if the difference would be obvious in a really nice D or something.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO