Just an idea...

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 10:54:14 EDT

Brad,

Thanks for your insightful post.  It points out something I've  developed
more of an understanding of as my business becomes more  successful:  people
skills are as important or more important than any  technical expertise you might
offer.  Being in sales for about 10 years  really helped me with that, too

Your analysis of people types (in a nut shell) is excellent.   Understanding
how the customer thinks is crucial to communication.

The fact is, you are often in a one on one situation with customers in  THEIR
home.  Trusting you is crucial to their well being in a place they  see as a
haven.

The handout I'd like to create has more to do with giving the customer a
small amount of information in a less technical way than we are accustomed to
communicating, injected with humor.

Let's face it.  What we do is of less import to most people than the  child's
orthodontic procedures, the soccer team tryouts, and the cat's annual
veterinary visit.   Nonetheless, they bought(or inherited or were  given) a piano,
they have invested good money in lessons, and if they  expect decent
performance from their piano, then they will have to pay to have  it maintained.

I don't want to pummel people with facts.  That doesn't work.  I  gave out
the PTG handouts for awhile: the one on Pitch Raising and the one  one
Regulation, stapled together with my card.  Guess what I've  found--untouched--in the
bottoms of many piano benches??

So it's gotta be fun...if I could draw, I might even make it a comic that
would appeal to kids.

Just ramblin' on before headin' out,

Dave Stahl

a message dated 4/7/05 6:34:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,