Just an idea...

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 11:40:28 -0400

Hi all,

Perhaps you could take a lesson from the scientific community.  =
Scientists are busy people.  They like to keep abreast of what is going =
on in research in their larger field, but they often don't want to know =
the blow-by-blow details.  On the other hand, they are intensely =
interested in EVERY detail of research taking place within their =
micro-specialty.  Scientific papers are uniformly structured with an =
abstract up front, a conclusions section at the end, and the meat of the =
study inbetween.  This format accommodates everyone who picks up the =
paper.  Scientists who have only a cursory interest in a study will read =
the abstract or conclusions first.  If that section piques their =
interest, then they'll usually read the other section next.  If the =
study looks germain to their research interests, they'll then launch =
into the paper with attention to detail.

Informational pamphlets can be effectively structured the same way.  =
Have some easily identified summary section with bullet points, probalby =
in large, bold print.  Have each bullet point lead to an easily =
identified paragraph/section pertaining to that point.  In this way, the =
customer can extract however much or little info he/she wants.

When talking with a customer, perhaps y'all can simply ask the customer =
how much detail they want.  That is, "Do you want the long story or the =
short story?"  Perhaps the same approach can be taken to feel out the =
direction you should take with the entire service call.  After you've =
made a broad, general assessment of the piano, perhaps you could ask, =
"What are your objectives today?  Do you want me just to do the minimum =
work to tune the piano and then go, so that you can move on with your =
other appointments?  Do you want me to do the extra work to tune this =
piano to concert pitch, so that it is in tune with other instruments?  =
Would you like to to discuss other ways I can improve the performance of =
your piano?  Would you like to discuss installation of a device that =
would help preserve and maintain your piano?"  If you were dealing with =
*me*, I would be very appreciative that you offered me options and that =
you didn't pressure me one way or the other -- that you just accepted my =
answer, without protest, and did the work that I asked of you.  But =
that's just me, and I do admit that I'm not an ordinary person.  <shrug>

Peace,
Sarah