Splicing Strings

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:13:35 -0700

You really should try with some plain wire until you get the hang=
 of it...bass strings can have some heavy wire...

The way I do it...

1st you really need the wire broken at the pin, which doesn't=
 usually happen.   This will give you plenty of wire to work=
 with...
push the wound portion through the agraffe.   I like to work from=
 the tail end on this piece...leaning over the curve.  With the=
 round needle nose or better yet vice-grip (which I haven't=
 mastered) make the bend to the left and loose, i.e. with a gap. =
 The end of wire needs to be above the plane of the wire.   With=
 the new wire to be spliced on (plenty long!!!) make a bend to=
 the right and tight.   Turn the piece around the snap it onto=
 the wound string.   pushing the new wire up until it pops over=
 the left and loose bend end and goes through the loop.  You may=
 need to push the right and tight loop over the wound portion=
 just be careful not to damage the windings.   Now pull the=
 spliced piece until you have the classic tied knot.   Squeeze=
 the bends with a needle nose pliers and ship off excess, measure=
 to tuning pin and bring it up to pitch.   It will either=
 immediately fall apart or tighten up.

David I.