Splicing Strings

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:39:13 -0500

This is a CLASSIC example of something that is very hard to learn out of =
book or by anyone's written description. The ONLY use for round nosed
pliers, IMH?O, is to make a biggish loop to wind around itself as a =
hitch
pin loop. For splicing, it's two hard to make the loops small enough and
even enough and you tend to get at least one sharp corner in each loop.
Then, when you want to tighten the knot, you have to pull it way too =
much so
it's hard to control where the knot ends up in the piano.
=20
For splicing string, forget every other method and get yourself some 5" =
Vice
Grips (I think it says 5CW on the handle). This easily makes SMALL loops
that come together in a small, tight knot.=20
=20
If you haven't got a copy of the PTG Technical Exam Sourcebook, get it =
now
(PTG bookstore). In the copy I have, page V4 has a good set of pics to =
show
splicing in this manner and page V5 has  a great hitch-loop procedure
demonstrated. Yea, Bill Spurlock.
=20
Someone who has learned these methods could SHOW you in 5 minutes and =
you'd
have a lifetime skill. It's so much easier to learn aural and mechanical
skills when they are demonstrated and then you can try it in the =
presence of
the one teaching. Hard to learn in the abstract and on your own. That's =
been
the frustration of most of us in the business ...
=20
Contact PTG offices about schedules for the Associates Seminar and plan =
attend if you can. I know they have one planned at National in June.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

=20