The "Jolly Loop" (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:20:23 -0500

I love Arledge strings. Most of my work is done on middle of the road to
low end pianos and they sound great. Much more consistent than I was
getting from Mapes. When I used Mapes I would get sections that did not
sound good. Was it voicing, dead area of the soundboard or bad strings?
Who knows. Once I asked them to remake a section which they did and I
got some improvement. I've never had to do that with Arledge.

At the Indy convention last October Del spoke about reducing the size of
the loops and getting them up off the plate to add flexibility in the
backscale. Attached is a link to a picture of a Walters grand that was
there showing off an unusual hitch pin Del likes to use.

The next set of strings I ordered from Arledge I tried to get the
shorter loop and they said they really couldn't do it. Has that changed?
I want a set with the "Jolly" loops. ;-)

I haven't tried the unusual pins. But I did try sticking a thin washer
under the loops of one set to get the strings off the plate. It worked.
Hard to tell how much improvement it actually made.

Dean

Photo at:

http://tinyurl.com/62yu8

Direct ptg.org URL: