Leather key bushings

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 15:38:51 EDT

The following post is a  reply to my  inquiry to/from MR. Sambel

Hello Dale!

Delighted to hear from you; I am very well and had a great time in
Sacramento. Afterwards, I spent a week as a guest of Susan Kline, and together  we
visited Edwin Good, author of "Giraffes, Black Dragons and other Pianos' in
Eugene, Oregon, and saw the Cristofori reproduction he and Anita have recently
acquired. And since then I have attended the PNWC in Renton, Wa. where I did
four classes .Great fun!
About leather key bushings; I feel exactly as you that cloth is really an
inadequate material on heavily used pianos. Long before it is worn out the
touch quality is  seriously compromised. When I was a young tuner running  round
London (UK) there were all kinds of German pianos, especially Bechsteins  and
Bluthners with leather key bushings which seemingly did not wear and were
remarkably trouble free. About ten years ago Bill Spurlock advocated the use  of
kangaroo skin in the Journal and I went on a quest to find some, without  any
luck. So I sent to Renner, Germany, not USA and got some calfskin,  supposedly
intended for key bushing. It was much too thick and very stiff,  more like a
leather belt. It was also an awkward width, about 1" so was  wasteful and
tricky to bring to 3/8". Anyway I thinned it down and rebushed a  couple of sets,
one being a practise studio Kawai grand. One year later I  inspected them and
there was no sign of wear whatever. Nonetheless, this was  not a satisfactory
solution, and then, believe it or not the answer was under  my nose. Kangaroo
skin was in the Schaff catalog! I had overlooked it because  it is listed under
player piano supplies on page 143, and I had never bothered  to look
there.Whether they still sell it I don't know, but it would be  worthwhile to check.
As it was I sent for a whole skin which cost about $70 at  the time. The
catalog says it is tan colored, but it turned out to be black,  which really doesn't
matter. It was really beautiful and I did several sets  with it , using hide
glue and putting the shiny skin side to the pin. I gave a  piece to Roger
Jolly to try so as to get another opinion, and he liked it. I  had heard
complaints that leather gets noisy, but this was not my experience.  The kangaroo skin
came at the right thickness and is soft and pliable. The  easiest way to cut
it into strips is with a paper cutter of the type found in  offices. I brushed
a little teflon powder into the bushings too.As I retired  not too long after
and left the Banff Centre, I could not check on the long  term wear, but I
hope to visit there next year and see. I had always wondered  what leather the
old German pianos used, then in 1993 I was with the !APBT  group who went to
England and Europe. The UK conference of the Piano Tuners  Assn, was held in
Colchester, sixty miles north of London, and Ingbert  Bluthner Haessler came fron
Germany to give a class on the old Bluthner  action. He mentioned that the
bushings were calfskin.(I videotaped the class).  So there you have it. Sometimes
one has to wait a lifetime to find an answer.  Well, I hope ths is useful
information for you, and am very interested to know  how it works out for you.
And I still remember your wonderful piano.

Warmest regards, Ted