Double German eye (was "Jolly Loop")

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 15:01:27 +1000

--============_-1099013204==_ma============
Hi all,

This is the second time this topic has come up on the list. Sorry
about my delayed contribution to the topic, but I have only today
converted the images below to low-res for publication on the list.

The synchronous timing of ideas can be simply amazing. When Roger J
first sent me an email with an image showing the double looped eyes
he was using, I had been almost simultaneously working through a
similar idea for my own piano.

I have always liked the idea of the German looped eye for back scale
flexibility but the tendency of these terminations to pull tight on
the hitch pin was, for me, a negative against their use.

After some consideration it occurred to me that if the coil was
centralised to the wire, by bending a 90 degree bend in the wire
before making the coil, it should prevent the coil tightening on the
hitch pin. I made a jig for building a prototype, and found that my
speculation proved correct. And just when I thought I'd re-invented
the wheel, along came an image from Jolly through the 'ether'.
Furthermore, a couple of months later when servicing an Australian
made Beale concert grand in Dubbo, I discovered that the Beale also
was strung using the same idea. And Michael informs us that Broadwood
was using it much earlier again.

Anyhow, for those of you who may be interested, I scanned a close-up
of our centralised loop, and the jig which I use for their
manufacture. A loop is shown below.

(if your browser doesn't display the above image, it can be found
online at; http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/dblloopeye.jpg )

This loop can be taken off the piano and replaced again without any
problem, since the loop won't tighten on the hitch pin (so bass
string twisting, at a later date, will not be a pain in the neck).
The first bend in the wire, as the wire turns from the back scale
length into the first coil, is what prevents it from tightening on
the hitch.

We cut the tail with the pliers held so that the sharp end of the
tail doesn't contact the plate, to avoid un-necessary scratching of
the finish.

The jig which we use to make the above eye is shown below.

(if your browser doesn't show the above image, it can be found online
at; http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/eyejig.jpg )

The jig consists of a small clamp which holds the wire adjacent to
the coil forming pin. The short wire-bend (visible above the knurled
clamp-tightening hand screw) allows the coil to be formed using a
small pair of parallel jaw pliers. The knurled hand screw was made
with a long shank, so that its overall length allows us to set the
appropriate wire distance between the two bends, before making the
coil.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY