Double German eye (was "Jolly Loop")

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:36:35 -0600

--Boundary_(ID_syqvpYMz/79bQYFBoeQWNg)

Hi Ron,
                   I like it, a very clean knot.    Smiling:  Ted Sambell
has often said.  " Very little is new in the piano business, but lots of
old ideas re visited."  I really think he is right.  Just a matter of
getting the right mix and execution of old ideas.

Regards Roger

At 11:01 PM 4/9/2005, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This is the second time this topic has come up on the list. Sorry about my
>delayed contribution to the topic, but I have only today converted the
>images below to low-res for publication on the list.
>
>The synchronous timing of ideas can be simply amazing. When Roger J first
>sent me an email with an image showing the double looped eyes he was
>using, I had been almost simultaneously working through a similar idea for
>my own piano.
>
>I have always liked the idea of the German looped eye for back scale
>flexibility but the tendency of these terminations to pull tight on the
>hitch pin was, for me, a negative against their use.
>
>After some consideration it occurred to me that if the coil was
>centralised to the wire, by bending a 90 degree bend in the wire before
>making the coil, it should prevent the coil tightening on the hitch pin. I
>made a jig for building a prototype, and found that my speculation proved
>correct. And just when I thought I'd re-invented the wheel, along came an
>image from Jolly through the 'ether'. Furthermore, a couple of months
>later when servicing an Australian made Beale concert grand in Dubbo, I
>discovered that the Beale also was strung using the same idea. And Michael
>informs us that Broadwood was using it much earlier again.
>
>Anyhow, for those of you who may be interested, I scanned a close-up of
>our centralised loop, and the jig which I use for their manufacture. A
>loop is shown below.
>
>[]
>

>(if your browser doesn't display the above image, it can be found online
>at; http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/dblloopeye.jpg )
>
>This loop can be taken off the piano and replaced again without any
>problem, since the loop won't tighten on the hitch pin (so bass string
>twisting, at a later date, will not be a pain in the neck). The first bend
>in the wire, as the wire turns from the back scale length into the first
>coil, is what prevents it from tightening on the hitch.
>
>We cut the tail with the pliers held so that the sharp end of the tail
>doesn't contact the plate, to avoid un-necessary scratching of the finish.
>
>The jig which we use to make the above eye is shown below.
>
>[]
>

>(if your browser doesn't show the above image, it can be found online at;
>http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/eyejig.jpg )
>
>The jig consists of a small clamp which holds the wire adjacent to the
>coil forming pin. The short wire-bend (visible above the knurled
>clamp-tightening hand screw) allows the coil to be formed using a small
>pair of parallel jaw pliers. The knurled hand screw was made with a long
>shank, so that its overall length allows us to set the appropriate wire
>distance between the two bends, before making the coil.
>
>Ron O.
>
>--
>OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
> [...]

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--Boundary_(ID_syqvpYMz/79bQYFBoeQWNg)--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 2f42c3.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 30946 bytes