Steinway heavy touch

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:54:31 +0100

Hi David, and others.

I think, especially in the light of a few off list experiences lately,
that its time to start discerning between Steinway Hamburg and Steinway
New York in these kinds of discussions. Actually, things have evidently
developed so much that many begin to wonder just how valid it is to
associate the one with the other.

I hear more and more, from many points all manner of commentary about
Steinway (New Yorks) from folks in America / Canada... or in general
about New York Steinways that I almost never hear or have experience
here with Hamburg Steinways.   This disscussion is no exception.  In
Europe, Steinways (Hamburg) have about as consistant a touch weight as
you see anywhere.  I think Stanwood has a bunch of data that underlines
this as well. Tho I'm not aware of any distinction he's made between New
York and Hamburg, I'm sure he has data that might be interesting to look at.

Now I cant really speak to the basic quality of New York Steinways,
because we simply dont get them here. But, if New York Steinways are
coming out with such varried touch weight as is indicated below, then I
would think this points to problems in production more then anything
else.  Varying ratios should not really be so noticible when static
touchweight is looked at. This because static touchweight is set
independantly.

On the side... these kinds of general action problems bring me back to
this whole discussion of Stanwoods approach.  If a factory DID use his
approach.... then most of these kinds of inconsistancies would
dissapear.  When measureing BW in Stanwoods approach, you are looking
directly at the ratio as opposed to assessing directly how much lead
(and where) to put into the key.  Looking at friction as well,  one is
able to seperate clearly and easily sources of inconsistancies in the
touchweight of the action into ratio and friction catagories.  That much
alone is worth using his system for IMHO.

Cheers
RicB

Ditto.  Aside from friction and wear variables, Steinways are known for
inconsistent touch from piano to piano largely because the action ratios
vary from piano to piano (at least with grands) and hammers are not
selected for weight accordingly.  Some Steinways are very light, some
very heavy.  The best approach will depend on the reasons.  On uprights,
control friction, spring tension, damper lift, and modify lead weighting
to achieve desired touchweight.  On grands, control friction, damper
lift and match hammer weights to action ratios with appropriate leading
to achieve desired balance weight.

David Love