Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:00:52 -0700

I=92m not sure I understand the concept which means that it must not =
work,
right:-)?  The RC&S designers seem to be doing a pretty good job of
control.  That plus the installation of vertical hitches and an
adjustable plate mounting system allows a lot of fine tuning.  Also, it
seems to actually work, whoa!
=20
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Cole
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 9:53 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method
=20
Adjustability comes to mind. You can come only so close to the optimum
amount of stiffness in the different areas of the board when choosing
panel and rib materials and dimensions, and that stiffness may change as
the panel ages. So magnets would allow for a fine tuning, no?

Tom Cole

David Love wrote:

Why would this be better than simply creating a rib crowned and
supported panel that can be compressed to the requisite stiffness
through the use of downbearing without overstressing the panel?