Epoxy Soundboard Repair- Coloring of Epoxy

David V. Anderson daverpt@wi.rr.com
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:50:28 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0079_01C53F4D.74234F70
My formula recently has been the System Three epoxy colorant.  This is a
stiff, opaque paste, designed to work with epoxy resins.  Two cautions:
The color slows the hardening time considerably, renders the epoxy less
brittle, and too much will prevent it from hardening altogether. (at
least on a non-geologic time scale).  Also, the color tends to weaken
bond strength and the epoxy's ability to flow and expel air.  I usually
start with a batch of clear epoxy to wet the crack and fill to the
bottom.  I have used them with West Systems resin and slow hardener, and
I would assume they work fine with System Three's own products.

I have purchased the paste in yellow, brown, and most importantly,
white.  I believe they also make red, which would probably be handy in
tiny amounts to "orange" up the mix.  Just adding the colors makes too
deep a saturation long before the desired level of opacity is reached,
so start with white.  With a semi-translucent white base, much less of
the deeper colors are needed.  Experiment with how much, but less is
definitely better.  I add the smallest amount of paste necessary to do
the job.  A batch that won't cure would be a real disappointment, and I
disclaim all responsibility for such an outcome.

Even with the color, this stuff will migrate.  I have come within an
inch or so of the end of a crack that diminished to zero width, and have
had it wick to the very end.  It does tend to trap air bubbles, so be
careful mixing and actively squeegee it in over its entire pot life.
Tapping the board at intervals seems to help.

The photo shows an unfinished board with two filled cracks.  As was
mentioned earlier, check color against a wet board for a closer match.
These did match quite well when finished.

Like many others on the list, I'm not trying to make cracks disappear,
or pretend they never happened.  But they should still be pretty to look
at with all your plate work, shiny pins, and that expensive decal.  If
making them somewhat attractive really weren't an objective, we'd color
them blue!

David V. Anderson, RPT

Waukesha, WI

------=_NextPart_001_0079_01C53F4D.74234F70