Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:53:05 +0100

Hi Sarah

I of course have to bow to your grasp of physics, its not always easy to
use correct terms and descriptions when relating to so many different
folks... especially when  I havent gone through that mill myself to
begin with.  That said I think the basic idea is more or less correct.

I stated that the magnets would impart more stiffness to the assembly.
I mean that the combined spring rate of the magnet componet and whatever
is in the soundboard will be greater then by the soundboard alone.
Secondly, the strings downward pressure potential is not changed, so if
the soundboard suddenly has the ability to hold an extra 2 mm of crown
against whatever downbearing is applied, then it has in the sense you
seem to be describing below with your leaf spring expample an increase
in stiffness. Not the panel in itself mind you.. but the whole (now
including the magnets) assembly.

I havent gotten so far as to finding out about the specifics of the
spring constant curve for these particular magnets.  I do know that
there are several classes of so called super magnets, and I imagine each
have their own characteristics thus.

My experiements have gone more along the lines of straight forward
empiri... ie... place the magnets such and such, observe the results.
Mostly to demonstrate the basic principle, and to fashion a basic
working example.  I could measure a clear increase in sustain on this
beater, and a raise in pitch.  That indicates the soundboard increases
its deflection of the string plane, ie it essentially takes more N's
downward to maintain the start point crown.

On the side.... you can get the magnets very close indeed to the
soundboard... it has quite a bit less of an amplitude then I had
imagined. One other concern would be perhaps the footprint of the
magnets on the underside of the panel... need to disperse that a bit I
think.  Someone asked about the magnets mass.  They are very light
weight and these I am useing measure 32 mm Ø and 5.5 mm thick with a 4
mm Ø hole in the middle for attachment with screws.

You are sure right about the pros / cons of adding stiffness bit.  Too
much is no better then not enough. But that seems to be one of the neat
points with this. Its quite adjustable to begin with. And one probably
would not see a need to install such a system unless one needed a bit
more stiffness anyways.

Thanks as always for your informative post !

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,

Sixty pounds?!  Whoa!  ;-)

You suggest that upwards force on the SB increases stiffness, but that's not
necessarily so.  Stiffness would be the same thing as spring constant, which
would be defined as the amount of force needed to deflect the SB by a given
amount.  So if it takes 100 N of pressure to deflect the SB by 1 mm (just
pulling numbers out of the air, without any clue as to whether they would be
close to anything "real"), we could say the SB has a stiffness of 100 N/mm.
If we make the SB twice as stiff, it would take 200N to deflect the SB by 1
mm.  Now set a 100 N weight atop the SB, and the SB will sink by 1 mm.
Apply 100 N of force from the bottom, and the original position will be
restored.  Apply 100 N of force instead to the top of the SB, and the SB
will sink another mm (all assuming ideal spring properties).  Either way,
the relative movement from 100 N of force will be the same.  Thus, the
addition of the 100 N of weight in no way affects the stiffness of the
assembly.  (Mass loading is another issue, but please ignore it for now.
I'm just talking about stiffness.)

Now let's apply 100 N of pressure to the underside of the SB with an
enormous leaf spring with a stiffness of 100 N/mm (same stiffness as the
SB).  Now, when we apply a 100 N force the SB, the deflection of the board
will be only half as much (0.5mm).  To deflect the SB 1mm, we now have to
apply 200N of force, and thus the combined stiffness is 200 N/mm.  That's
because we're deflecting both the SB and the spring, both of which require
force for deflection.

If we repeat the above experiment by simply attaching the spring to the SB
but not applying any force against the SB from the spring, we'll get the
same results -- a combined stiffness of 200 N/mm.  In other words, force
doesn't matter.

What *does* matter?  What matters is the stiffness of the "spring" that is
attached to the SB.  In other words, what matters is the amount of force
needed to change the position of the "spring" by a given amount.  In the
case of gravity, that force is zero.  (Zero?!  OK, consider two equal
weights attached to a rope, hanging over a frictionless pulley.  Now move
one of the weights up or down.  Yup, zero.) In the case of a leaf spring,
that force is greater than zero and is equal to the spring constant.  If you
want to do the equivalent of the pulley/weight demonstration, tie two
springs to a rope, and fasten the other ends of the springs to two walls,
such that the rope is under tension.  Now move the rope back and forth
(longitudinally).  It takes force, right?

This leads to the final and most important point.  If you want to add
pressure to the underside of a SB to support downbearing, but you DON'T want
to increase stiffness very much, then you need to use a support "spring"
that has a relatively low spring constant (i.e. a spring that's not too
stiff).  In other words, the force needed to compress the spring by a given
increment must be small.  You can still apply the same force.  It would
simply require greater compression of the spring to achieve that force.  But
if the force is more uniform with a given increment of deflection, then the
spring constant is lower, and the stiffness added to the SB is less.

But what about magnets?  Well, they're a bit like springs too, albeit more
nonlinear ones.  It sounds like the ones you're using are potentially adding
LOTS of stiffness to the SB assembly.  That's not necessarily bad, if part
of the objective is to add stiffness.  My only point is that your choice of
device to apply force to the bottom of the SB will determine how much
stiffness you add to the entire assembly.  You can use a weaker spring to
achieve the same force with less added stiffness, or you can use your
magnets to apply the same force with much more added stiffness.  Sometimes
added stiffness is needed.  Sometimes it is not.  If stiffness were
universally good, we'd be casting SBs out of reinforced concrete!

Having said all this, I like your magnets idea.  It achieves the application
of force while at the same time eliminating the potential for resonances.
For instance, if coil springs were used, they might "ring," unless they were
somehow damped.  Of course damping the springs would be a bit like damping
the entire soundboard.  The best application of your magnets idea may well
be with a larger number of magnets spaced at larger distances from the SB.
It is the larger distance that would yield an overall lower added stiffness,
while still supporting the downbearing with the same force.

Peace,
Sarah