Hitch loops

Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:19:09 +0100

Hello List
I knew something was troubling me in the latest discussion about hitch =
loops - be they helix, single or double loop. It was to do with the =
resultant flexibility of the bridge. Hang on a bit! What possible effect =
can the termination at the hitch have on the bridge? Take S&S or Yam =
pianos - both use the so-called "duplex" scaling and so there is a metal =
duplex pad stuck in there between the bridge and the hitch pin. =
Therefore .... no possible effect. Or there's the listing cloth and =
damping pads under the string at the hitch end. Again there's an =
impediment to the effect of the hitch mode to the bridge. Someone even =
suggested the double loop would take the string away from the the plate =
- this being frowned upon. I suggested "turn the loop over". No comment. =
Now I see the vertical notched hitch pillar. Very pretty it looks too. =
What effect will this have - particularly if it is used in a piano with =
either metal duplex pad or listing cloth. I didn't see whether there was =
or was not a duplex pad or listing cloth involved. Is all this hitch =
discussion merely ... hitch-hype?  :-)
Regards from darkest Downlands of Sussex
Michael G.(UK)