Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:19:10 -0400

Hi,

I've been reading things occasionally about sustain since I've joined=20
this list and, as a pianist, I'm a bit concerned that people are=20
thinking increased sustain must be a good thing - forgive me if I've=20
misunderstood in what follows. There are 2 concerns of mine:

1) As an example, just a couple of weeks ago I was performing with a=20
flautist on a Baldwin SF10 which had an unusual amount of sustain.=20
Although pianists are used to varying playing techniques with different=20=

pianos, the increased sustain on this piano caused some interpretative=20=

problems which had no solution, no matter how creatively one may=20
approach it.

Overall, having to account for the increased sustain I considered a=20
negative thing - I saw no practical benefit, minus those pianist who=20
enjoy interpretative hyperbole.

2) There seems to be an increasing amount of pianists who have problems=20=

with over-pedalling they aren't aware of (the art of pedalling is not=20
what it used to be!), and to add even more sustain to the piano=20
concerns me.

It seems to me the nature of the piano to have a certain amount of=20
limited sustain. Varying degrees are certainly acceptable, and maybe=20
that's what everyone is talking about. Too little is as bad as too=20
much.

- John

> rence in mass loading, what's the difference in weight with all those=20=

> magnets, wooden sheaths, glue and screws, compared to=A0a conventional=20=

> soundboard with ribs?
> =A0
> Furthermore, how will the magnets affect the sustain of steel piano=20
> wire!?!?!?
> =A0
> --Cy Shuster--=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...