Too much sustain?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 00:57:54 -0400

John,

Did you have too much sustain only when the pedal is down, or also when =
it's up?  In either case, can't you control it with the dampers, either =
individually on the key or with the pedal?  In classical guitar, we =
sometimes use our hand to mute strings quickly, when needed.  The only =
situation in a piano with too much sustain that I can think of is in the =
undamped high treble.

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bec and John=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method

  Hi,

  I've been reading things occasionally about sustain since I've joined =
this list and, as a pianist, I'm a bit concerned that people are =
thinking increased sustain must be a good thing - forgive me if I've =
misunderstood in what follows. There are 2 concerns of mine:

  1) As an example, just a couple of weeks ago I was performing with a =
flautist on a Baldwin SF10 which had an unusual amount of sustain. =
Although pianists are used to varying playing techniques with different =
pianos, the increased sustain on this piano caused some interpretative =
problems which had no solution, no matter how creatively one may =
approach it.

  Overall, having to account for the increased sustain I considered a =
negative thing - I saw no practical benefit, minus those pianist who =
enjoy interpretative hyperbole.

  2) There seems to be an increasing amount of pianists who have =
problems with over-pedalling they aren't aware of (the art of pedalling =
is not what it used to be!), and to add even more sustain to the piano =
concerns me.

  It seems to me the nature of the piano to have a certain amount of =
limited sustain. Varying degrees are certainly acceptable, and maybe =
that's what everyone is talking about. Too little is as bad as too much.

  - John

    rence in mass loading, what's the difference in weight with all =
those magnets, wooden sheaths, glue and screws, compared to a =
conventional soundboard with ribs?
    =20
    Furthermore, how will the magnets affect the sustain of steel piano =
wire!?!?!?
    =20
    --Cy Shuster--