Holes in Steinway Hammers

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:24:16 -0600

Hi David,
               Besides ventilation ;-).   Reduction of mass to reduce the
woody knock, and improve the singing quality of the sound in the high
treble.    A variety of techniques have been used over the years.   Cedar
shanks, swagged or tapered shanks, soft maple moldings, tapered hammer heads.

I am assuming this was only done in the extreme treble?

Regards Roger