Virtual Ribs, A new crown support method

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:54:57 +0100

Good question Cy. And I am sure with your bright mind you will be able
to easily calculate that the mass of the needed magnets attached to the
soundboard is quite low, the wooden sheaths and screws even less a
concern, and the glue not worth mentioning.  I am also equally sure that
since the back side of these neodyms are rather neutralized in the first
place, and are at least 5 cm away from the strings and shielded by both
the soundboard and bridge wood, that the effect of the magnets on
strings is on the order of the effect the Omega 12 galaxy has on your
daily sense for humour :)

That said... one COULD employ magnets to affect purposely string
behaviour I suppose.... if one wanted to.  An idea for someone else to
look into.

Cheers
RicB

With respect to the difference in mass loading, what's the difference in =
weight with all those magnets, wooden sheaths, glue and screws, compared =
to a conventional soundboard with ribs?

Furthermore, how will the magnets affect the sustain of steel piano =
wire!?!?!?