Gluing Ivory w/PVC-E...was Contact Cement, yada yada

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 23:39:09 -0700

David Vanderhoofven asked: "Could you enlighten me as to the details =
involved in gluing ivory pieces on=20
with PVC-E glue?  I had a bad experience recently with ivory and=20
PVC-E.  The ivory curled up very badly.  I am assuming that the moisture =
in=20
the glue caused the ivory to warp.  How do you keep the ivory from =
warping=20
when using PVC-E glue?  Thanks!"

David,
First, I do not thin the stuff. As a matter of fact, I let it get =
thicker.<G> I add titanium dioxide to the stuff until it's really =
thick.<G> I use special clamping plates made out of 1/4" thick aluminum. =
The brass ones, sold by our illustrious suppliers, suck! I use those in =
the field, but have mixed success. BTW, only LIGHT clamping pressure is =
needed. Too much pressure will definately cause a "starved joint".
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I