was OnlyPure not P 12ths Tunings

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:57:12 +0100

Ric donīt laugh,

all professionals will, and there are some good reasons.

by the way, the patent pending is for the method of using those 3-note pure
interval combinations that are a result of the P12 theory, not for the P12
idea and the many solutions there had been in the past years.
If you find, that this solution is not new, you may raise objection in the
patent process.

no one MUST use the new method, but there are many advantages for a
professional tuner in licensing a
method that is superior to any previous, since this is not just a simply a
new bearing plan, it is a method that pushes your pitch tuning precision to
a level of unison tuning precision level.  (what i am convinced of and you
will be too, as soon you tried it out)

what will you do if a pianist of the champions league comes along your town
making a concert and asks you for the OnlyPure method? convince the pianist
from another solution? or violate a patent? It is easy to check if one uses
the method or not. At least for the professional tuners/manufacturers it is
impossible to use/sell a protected method without having the proper license.

the answer is, it is better to have a license and use the mark, and convince
all your customers with the new method and then you have a marketing
advantage again colleagues who have not licensed and can not use legally the
method or the mark.

i was at the Frankfurt Musikmesse last week, and some technicians had the
same reaction like you...

but most others who were fascinated about the pure 3-note-interval tuning
idea and saw the marketing chance they have in their professional  area and
also at their private customers. You can even make more money with marketing
the thing, than you pay license fees for it. It should be a profit for both
sides, not only for me, and the most profit at the side of the licensee.

And as higher the license fee is, as higher the profit is for a professional
tuner, since only for tuners doing over 100-300 tunings per year it is worth
in investing in a license fee of 400 ? for the first year and 200 ? for the
following. Thus, you will have a cost of about 0,5-2 ? per tuning (depending
on how professional you are), and you can easily raise your price for at
least 10 ?.

regards,

Bernhard