SOMEONE GO! was RE: look at eBay for a good laugh

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:21:43 -0500

Alan,

At 22:23 4/13/2005, you wrote:
>Re: The self-tuning Acrosonics
>
>I sent the eBay lady an eMail. This is my eMessage and what she eSent back.
>
>"I'm sorry, but you are either seriously missinformed or trying to fool
>someone, either way you are misrepresenting your piano. It may be keeping
>people from bidding. If that piano hasn't been tuned in 25 years, it is
>hideosly, horribly, revoltingly out of tune. There is no such thing as a
>self tuning piano. You may like how it sounds (?) but it is NOT in tune.
>Actually, Acrosonics do have a reputation for holding their tune well and
>in California, which doesn't experience the wide humidity swings of the
>South or Midwest, you can probably get by with one tuning a year. But NO
>piano sounds good after 25 years. I'm a professional piano technician and
>member of the Piano Technicians Guild. Your ad is all "achatter" on our
>tech website. We think it's pretty funny, actually. Thought you'd like to
>know. Alan Barnard"

> piano in Chicago (wide temp. & humidity fluctuations) and moved out here
> with it 3 years ago. I am telling you the truth. It may not match the
> pitch on an electronic keyboard, but from one note to the next, it is in
> tune! Do re me, etc. I was at the storage facility not 2 months ago & I
> played it! I would love to prove it to you! Are you near San Diego?
>Someone out there pleeeeaaaase go see this miracle piano and report back
>to us.
>
>Alan R. Barnard
>Salem, MO

And her latest addition to the ad says:

>.
>*** A piano technician has informed me that there is no such thing as a
>"self-tuning" piano.  I, however, stand by my convictions that THIS piano
>has remained in tune (one note in relation to the next) for the time that
>we've owned it.  If a buyer is expecting to tune a piano once or twice a
>year ($80-150 each time), they will be pleasantly surprised by the lack of
>maintenance required for this particular piano.  I cannot vouch for other
>owners of Acrosonic models. ***

Snake oil comes in all types of containers, eh?
Caveat emptor, fer sher...

Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
It's gone right now and didn't leave a forwarding address.