"Like new" Keytop cleaner

FRANCES HELMS fhelms@topeka.k12.ks.us
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:28:45 -0500

This comes under the rule of "no good deed goes unpunished."
Fran Helms,
Topeka,KS

>>> Carman Gentile <cgpiano@humboldt1.com> 04/13/05 9:07 PM >>>
My colleagues.

   What you are about to read REALLY happened.

   After I tuned a 1905 Vose and Sons, I cleaned the plastic keytops with
Cory Key-Brite.  (Apparently, at some point in this piano's life the ivory
keytops had been replaced with plastic years ago.)  The keytops were very
dirty and the cleaner made an impressive improvement.  I billed a third
party for the tuning and did not charge for the keytop cleaning.

   Well... GET THIS.  The owner of the piano called me about a week later
and accused me of having replaced her ivories(?) with new plastic.  I said
that I only CLEANED the existing plastic keytops, I did not charge for any
replacement service and it would have been impossible to actually replace
the keytops during that appointment.
She did not believe me and said she would call the County Sheriff to
investigate.

   So about a week later a detective from the Sheriff's office called me to
hear my side of the story.  I described what I did and suggested the owner
was overreacting.

   The piano owner finally consulted a respect RPT colleague (from our
chapter) and he corroborated my claim that it is impossible to replace a
set of keytops in one sitting.

She still does not believe me.

The moral of the story:  From now on, I obtain an owner's consent before I
provide my FREE keytop cleaning service.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter