Was OnlyPure not (flame time?)

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:22:40 EDT

Greetings,
    I've been reading this thread and suddenly realized,  we don't have near
enough kindling for a good flame, so, here goes:  The differences between any
of the styles of ET are miniscule compared to the difference between any of
them and even a mild WT.  Also,  I really object to using 'Pure' to describe
tempered intervals.  Minimum beating is "purer" but NOT  "Pure".  Something is
either contaminated or it is not.

Ron writes:
<< But music is more than just octaves and fifths.... you could complete the
journey and move on to the thirds and sixths.  In equal temperament,<snip>
for every beat of a major third, the minor third will be
beating 1.7 times.  Now by using alternate temperaments, this can be
adjusted to get a consonant 1.5, or 3/2 ratio.  That's a sound not to be
missed.... >>

       Ah,  Ron is exactly right. Music is far more than the tuning, since
the temperament is fixed and different music from different eras uses the
intervals for different purposes.  There ain't no one perfect anything.   To the ear
that is helplessly in love with the 13.7 cent third, everywhere, harmonic
contrasts are simply 'wrong'. To those whose musical appreciation has come to
recognise the complexity of harmony in WT,  ET is bland and boring. Vive la dif!
    What is undeniable is that different degrees of consonance create
differing emotional responses. This is scientifically demonstrated all the time.  The
horns of a train are so dissonant that you can't help but have your attention
rivetted by them.  The lullaby is always graced by maximum consonance.  The
emotional empact of these differing stimuli is well known and easily
demonstrated,  just have uninformed ears listen to a comparison and some very
interesting  results begin to show themselves.
    What I have found is that no matter how you tune ET, no matter what the
stretch or alignment of the 12ths,etc.,  the great majority of listeners will
prefer a mild well temperament if subjected to blind comparison.  This has
happened repeatedly in Guild convention comparisons, in private studios I tune in,
and numerous presentations by myself and others.  For some reason, ET just
never comes out on top!  Recently, the head of a piano department played a piano
I had just tuned in a WT, which I didn't advertise.  She felt it was so much
more resonant and said that it sounded better than it ever had.  Her two
companions, sitting in the audience said it was the clearest sounding piano in the
school.  (Liszt, Brahms, and Ravel were her pieces).  This same teacher had
previously told me that she much preferred ET!
   From whence does the attraction for ET spring?  I opine that its
attraction comes from us technicians. We just love something that is easy to measure,
and we often are more comfortable with something that "everybody" accepts.
However,   if we are committed to lifelong growth in any direction,  we must
constantly ask ourselves is "Do we know what we like, or do we like what we know?"
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT